The use of energy gels is becoming more widespread in endurance sports such as road cycling or mountain biking.
A food supplement intended for consumption during intense activity, you need to have a little knowledge about what they are, how they help and how we should consume them.
In this article we are going to help you to know more about these products so that you can get the most out of them during your routes or your training and get them at a reasonable price.
What are energy gels and how are they used in cycling?
Energy gels are dietary supplements whose consumption is intended for athletes taking part in long distance and high intensity sports, where it is necessary to keep energy reserves at an optimum level. During these activities, energy consumption for our brain is just as if not more important than energy for our muscles. Energy gels usually come in small tubes that facilitate their consumption during exercise.
What are they made of?
It’s a thick liquid formed mainly by simple carbohydrates, in order to give us a quick dose of energy. During intense physical exercise our muscles need energy that comes from muscle and liver glycogen, and this is stored in carbohydrates. With the ingestion of energy gels we avoid spending the energetic reserves of our body and reduce the possibility of suffering from fatigue.
Where can you buy them?
Halfords have a wide selection of energy gels and other energy products which you should definitely check out. Plus these Halfords discount codes will get you gels at a great price!
Things to keep in mind
1. Don’t ingest gels in workouts or routes of low intensity, as you’re simply adding extra energy to your body that, if not used, will be stored.
2. Don’t forget to stay hydrated. Generally, to improve and accelerate the absorption of the gel in our stomach you have to consume it with water
3. Consumption of gels should be done every 45-50 minutes on your route.
4. Plan the consumption of food, water and supplements during your routes.
5. Don’t forget that energy gels are food supplements and are not a substitute for food.
If you follow these tips, then you’re ready to start taking energy gels and improving your performance in the process, so what are you waiting for?